There are different retail Xbox hardware revisions:
- Xbox 1.0
- USB controller is on a separate PCB
- GPU has a fan on the heat sink
- Xbox 1.1
- USB controller moved onto the motherboard
- Fan removed from the GPU heat sink
- Xbox 1.2
- Switched to ATX Power connector
- Xbox 1.3
- Removed LFrame signal from LPC Port
- Xbox 1.4
- Switched to Focus Video Encoder
- Xbox 1.5
- 3.3v and GND removed from LPC
- Xbox 1.6
- Removed data and power lines from LPC port
- Xyclops chip (includes ROM instead of flash = BIOS no longer flashable)
- Microsoft later switched to lower quality Hynix RAM. These Xboxes with non-Samsung RAM are sometimes referred to as 1.6b by the modding community.
You can find more information about the hardware used in each revision below.
History of Xbox 1.5
While not definitive, here are some ways to help identify the revision of your Xbox.
The serial number looks like this:
- L is the production line
- NNNNNN is the number produced that week
- Y is the last digit of the production year
- WW is the number of the week
- FF is the factory code
Note, this table contradicts the previous table.
|02||Mexico||1.0 or 1.1|
|05||China||1.2 or later|
|06||Taiwan||1.2 or later|
|LNNNNNN 23WFF||1.0 or 1.1|
|LNNNNNN 33WFF||1.4 or 1.5|
There are four retail drives known to be used by Microsoft in the retail version of the console. any Xbox DVD drive can be used in any retail xbox.
List of Xbox DVD Drive manufacturers
- Thomson (Xbox 1.0, 1.1)
- Philips (Xbox 1.1 and above)
- Samsung (Any)
- Hitachi-LG (8050L)(mainly 1.6?)
This DVD-rom drive, most commonly found in Xbox 1.6 and 1.6b is reading DVD-+R, DVD-RW and CDRW media, but fails to boot most CD-R discs source: xbox-hq.com Hitachi-LG GDR-8050L DVD Drive In Xbox.
on 30 January 2006 TheSpecialist posted at Xboxhacker.net that he succesfully flashed a Hitachi drive to boot a copied game on a unmodded xbox: breakthrough: XBOX 1 firmware hacked !
|Revision||Drive Manufacturer||Drive Model Number||Capacity|
|1.0 (XB:2001-10-26 FF=02)||Western Digital||WD80EB-00CGH0||8G|
|1.1 (XB:2001-10-29 FF=03)||Western Digital||WD80EB-28CGH1||8G|
|Conexant||1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3|
|1.1||1.1 - 1.6|
|3944, 4034, 4036, 4627||1.0|
|5101, 5713||1.2 - 1.5|